[Tutor] how to move an executable into path

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Nov 27 21:57:03 EST 2016

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 05:49:20PM -0800, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2016-11-27 16:26, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
> snip..
>
> >I fully admit some snark about Firefox.
>
> snip..
>
> I've been using Firefox on Ubuntu for years and haven't recognized any
> difficulties although I don't use it for much other than email,
> searching, and occasionally shopping.
>
> I would be interested in knowing your browser of choice- obviously not
> Safari!

Firefox is like democracy: its the worst browser in the world, except
for all the others. I keep coming back to it because every time I change
to another browser, its worse.

I hate the rapid pace of upgrades that change basic functionality.
A rapid pace for security upgrades is necessary. Changing the look and
feel of the browser and the features, not so much. I hate that every
time I upgrade Firefox, something breaks.

I hate how slow and memory hungry it is, at the way that it eats memory
and CPU cycles even when quitely sitting in the background, and how a
single rogue website can kill the entire application. In theory, Chrome
is better, since each tab exists in its own process that can be killed
independently of the rest, but in practice I find that to be false
advertising: I've still had the entire Chrome application crash and die.

But, really, its not so much Firefox as the entire web ecosystem. I'm
unhappy that people want to do everything in the browser, often poorly.
I'm sad that web applications' user-interfaces are so poor. I'm angry at
the large number of sites which are completely unviewable without
enabling Javascript and allowing random websites to track your move. I'm
sick of web adverts and tracking cookies and more nefarious tricks done
by advertisers and the way that we're all supposed to just implicitly
trust code downloaded from random people on the internet into our
browser.

I think that any web site that serves up malware disguised as
advertising should be held 100% liable, plus punitive damages, and if
that destroys the Internet advertising industry, good. I'd rather a tiny
Internet that loses money and is trustworthy than a huge Internet that
makes buckets of money for people who cannot be trusted as far as you
can throw them.

I'm frustrated that even though I have an Internet connection that is
hundreds of times faster than I had in the 1990s, browsing is actually
*slower* now because pages are hundreds of times bigger, and nearly all
of that size is junk: Javascript to load trackers that load other
trackers that load other trackers that load more Javascript that loads
more trackers.

NoScript makes this somewhat more bearable, but it is frustrating
whenever I come across a page that will not load without disabling
NoScript or enabling a dozen or more foreign trackers.

At least Flash is on the way out.

--
Steve