[Tutor] using python shell program on windows

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 14:08:09 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:

> python -m pip install timesheet
>
> on the commandline should take care of the details. On my (Linux) machine
> this also installed a script that I can invoke on the command line with
>
> $ timesheet start foo bar
> Started task:
> Subject     foo
> Title       bar
> Start       2016-10-14 18:49
> End
> Duration    00:00
> $
>
> If that does not work on Windows there's probably a Windows user who knows
> what to try instead.

I haven't used this package before, but I can attest that the wheel
and its dependencies do install without error on Windows, and it
appears to be working.

It says it supports Python 3, but I discovered it has a raw_input call
in the implementation of its start command. So I suggest using Python
2 instead.

The installation creates a timesheet.exe script wrapper in Python's
"Scripts" folder. Unless you're using a virtual environment, you'll
have to add this directory to the PATH environment variable to run
timesheet from the command line.

Running timesheet warns about a missing configuration file,
"%LOCALAPPDATA%\timesheetrc" (expanded for your %LOCALAPPDATA%
directory). I created this as an empty file to avoid the warning.

If you need to back up or delete the timesheet database, it's located
at "%LOCALAPPDATA%\timesheet\timesheet.sqlite".