[Tutor] Attaching program text to messages (was: Python v3 Tkinter GUI program)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Oct 24 19:01:12 EDT 2016

Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> writes:

> On 24/10/16 22:36, Elliott Andrews wrote:
> > All descriptions and comments codes are provided in the attached
> > program.
>
> Normally attachments are deleted by the server although yours
> seems to have gotten through (to me at least).

I think because it is (declared by Elliott's mail user-agent to be) a
text attachment, it survives to the mailing list.

> Its best to post code in the body of the mail although in your case
> that's a lot of code so maybe a pastebin would be better.

A text attachment (provided you ensure it is declared that way, as
Elliott's message did) seems a better way. If it fails, we all know
immediately, and it can be retried.

A pastebin's failure mode (some reader can't access for whatever reason)
is more likely to appear later, when someone wants to refer back to the
message. So I'd say that is inferior to attaching the program text.

--
 \          “Now Maggie, I’ll be watching you too, in case God is busy |
  `\       creating tornadoes or not existing.” —Homer, _The Simpsons_ |