[Tutor] Asking about Run python script at Startup

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Apr 3 12:03:31 EDT 2017

On 04/03/2017 04:20 AM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
> On 03/04/17 05:34, Quang nguyen wrote:
>
>> I do not know how to run my python 3 script after my PI2 finished startup.
>
> This might be a better question for a PI forum since it doesn't
> seem to have anything directly to do with Python.
>
>> the easy way to run at startup with escape plan?.
>
> You will need to define what you want more clearly.
> Do you want your script to start as soon as the PI boots
> up - before you login? Or do you want it to start as soon
> as you login? Or do you want to start it manually as soon
> as you finish logging in?
>
> Also, if you are running a GUI then you must decide if
> you want the script to start before or after the GUI
> launches.
>
> (BTW I have no idea what you mean by an escape plan?
> Do you mean stopping the script when you hit Escape?
> Ctl-C is the usual means of doing that)

Indeed, this doesn't even reveal what the RPi is running, since there
are many many options. Presumably it's a linux variant (like Raspbian
which I think is still the "default", been a while since I looked);
there's plenty of information on "initscripts" (older way) and "systemd"
(newer way) if you're looking for a system-level startup script for
Linux, as well as ways to run things at a user level (when you log in,
or when your desktop environment is instantiated if you run one).
Rapsberry PI forums and Linux forums are good places to look.