[Tutor] How do we create a GUI to run a simple calculation program in Python?

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 20:15:29 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Lisa Hasler Waters <lwaters at flinthill.org>
wrote:

> Hello Tutor,
>
> A middle school student of mine created a program to calculate simple and
> compound interest. He built it in PyCharm EDU using a Mac running 10.11.6.
>
> He would like to create a GUI to run this program. Please, can you advise
> on how he could build this?
>
> Others have mentioned Tkinter and HTML; I''d like to put in my two cents'
worth for wxPython <https://wxpython.org/>.  HTML is probably the best
cross-platform solution, and requires the least extra stuff bolted on, but
wxPython lets you create desktop apps that look like they were actually
developed for the computer they run on.

Alan Gauld's comments about separating the GUI from the program logic are,
as usual, spot-on.