[Tutor] Fwd: Startup Python

Wim Berrelkamp wimberrelkamp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 01:37:50 EDT 2017

Dear Alan Gauld,

Pure by coïncedent I found your answer to me on the internet at
http://code.activestate.com/lists/python-tutor/109848/
There was no answer on my e-mail account.
Your answer works !
Thanks for that !

Regards,
Wim Berrelkamp
Groningen, The Netherlands

On 12/04/17 13:47, Wim Berrelkamp wrote:

> [...]

Here you assign the number 2 to 'a'

Here you assign whatever character(s) the user types to 'a'.
The fact that it looks like 2 doesn't change the fact that it
is really the character '2'. So you need to convert it to
a number using either int() or float()

a = int(input('-->'))
or
a = float(input('-->'))

> print(a)> d=a+4> print(d)> > I tried to use float(), but nothing works.>
What am I doing wrong ?

I don't know, because you don't show us how you tried to
use float(), but if you apply it as shown above it
should work.

-- Alan G Author of the Learn to Program web site http://www.alan-g.me.uk/
http://www.amazon.com/author/alan_gauld Follow my photo-blog on Flickr at: