[Tutor] Need help with code

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 11:49:26 EDT 2017

On 18/04/17 03:12, Tyler Seacrist wrote:

> How do I avoid this error message everytime I utilize wordlist = open("words.text") ?

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#303>", line 1, in <module>
>     wordlist = open("words.txt")
> FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'words.txt'

You need to tell Python where the file lives. It is evidently not
in the same folder where you run the program(*) so you need to
provide the path.

(*)You can determine which folder python considers its home folder by
including this code in your program;

import os
print( os.getcwd() )  # get Current Working Directory

and you can see its contents with

print( os.listdir() )

So you need to provide the path. If you are using
Windows you should put an 'r' in front of the path,
like so:

fin = open( r"C:\Path\to\words.txt" )

or use forward slashes:

fin = open( "C:/Path/to/words.txt" )

Either technique will avoid python interpreting the '\'
as an escape character.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site