[Tutor] Tkinter layout question

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 20 05:33:12 EDT 2017

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 09:27:27 +0100
Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:

> Eek! that's a recipe for premature baldness!

Baldness is not a problem, however, slowing the onset of dementia is the aim of this project.

> So, for a Suduko grid put 3x3 Entry boxes into a Frame.
> Then put 3x3 such frames into another frame.

OK, so I'll go back to my original idea and use edit boxes. A grid of 9 x 9 edit boxes does actually work and it makes it easy to keep track of the digits. The first digit is [0,0], the first digit on the second line is [1,0] etc. Nine 3 x 3 boxes could add some complication to digit tracking.

> Don't try to reinvent all of that yourself, it will
> result in tears. (Think about how you will control
> cursor movement, deletions, selections etc etc)

I did actually get my canvas version to the point where I could enter digits into the cells but I had to enter them in sequence so that the logic part of the program knew where the digits were. It was all becoming somewhat complicated.

Thank you for the table example. I'm not sure what "tab = DisplayTable" does at the moment, I'll have to run it to find out.

Thank you for your detailed answer, more food for though.

--
Regards,
Phil