[Tutor] Another set question

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Apr 29 06:27:17 EDT 2017

Phil <phil_lor at bigpond.com> writes:

> Thank you Ben and Martin for your detailed replies. I was debating
> whether or not to post my question at all because it looked vague,
> even to me.

That's not the issue; the question was posed clearly enough. The problem
is that your purpose is opaque, and we have a strong suspicion your
approach is not well suited to the purpose.

> This a simplified version of what I had in mind:

Thank you for the example code. However the same issue remains:

Why is the data in such a state that you can't decide how to use it
until you know whether it is a set versus a string? Can the data be
handled differently? We'll need to know what you're trying to achieve,
to answer properly.

--
 \      “Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity |
  `\        of the graveyard.” —Justice Roberts in 319 U.S. 624 (1943) |