[Tutor] Python Daemons

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Aug 1 21:04:06 EDT 2017

Daniel Bosah <dbosah at buffalo.edu> writes:

> I'm following an online tutorial about threading.

Can you point to it so we can understand your specific situation?

> I don't know what a Daemon is

The package ‘python-daemon’ is a library to build your program as a
daemon <URL:https://pypi.org/project/python-daemon/>.

The referenced PEP <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3143>
describes what a daemon process is, and how the library provides what
you need to implement a daemon process.

> and I also don't know how to use it in Python 2.7. Apparently its
> built in Python 3, but I don't know how to use it in Python 2.7.

If you are learning Python, you should not use Python 2 unless there is
no other option. Python 2 is on the way out – it will stop receiving all
support after 2020, and is already far behind Python 3.

There are, of course, tutorials for Python 3 and threading. For example
<URL:https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python3/python_multithreading.htm>.

> Any help would be appreciated.

I hope that helps.

--
 \                “The supreme vice is shallowness.” —Oscar Wilde, _De |
  `\                                                  Profundis_, 1897 |