[Tutor] What is meaning of "/" in "pow(x, y, z=None, /)"?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Aug 1 21:14:08 EDT 2017

boB Stepp <robertvstepp at gmail.com> writes:

> A quick scan of some of my Python books does not turn up the use of
> "/" as a function argument.

The appearance of this in Python's documentation and dfunction signature
descriptions, without a clear description of what it means, is
troubling.

The best I can find is this informational draft PEP
<URL:https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0457/>, which *proposes* it as
syntax for some future Python.

--
 \      “The process by which banks create money is so simple that the |
  `\     mind is repelled.” —John Kenneth Galbraith, _Money: Whence It |