[Tutor] if __name__=='main' vs entry points: What to teach new comers?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Aug 2 08:48:39 EDT 2017

Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> writes:

> Maybe I am doing something wrong.  I was proud because I did use
> “console_scripts” entry points.

Did someone lead you to believe it was wrong? Setuptools console_scripts
entry points are a good tool.

My point was that it is an *advanced* tool, difficult to use and also
difficult to explain because the concepts are advanced.

What's wrong is not that someone should learn and use this tool; what's
wrong IMO is to introduce newcomers to use this tool as their first way
to create command-line programs.

> I thought this is the right way of doing it. Doing things the right
> way always makes my feel so very good :-)

Continue using Setuptools entry points with my blessing.

--
 \            “Technology is neither good nor bad; nor is it neutral.” |
  `\                       —Melvin Kranzberg's First Law of Technology |