[Tutor] When do you know you're ready to start applying for jobs?

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 15:38:13 EST 2017

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Matthew Ngaha <chigga101 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can I get a junior programming job without a CS degree?
> When do you know you're ready to start applying for jobs? How can a
> self learner ever know?
> should I have applied for some jobs back in 2015 when I was still studying?
> What are your opinions on my situation? Is learning Python all over
> again worth it without a CS degree? would I be wasting my time?

Most of the bugs in current commercial software packages were written by CS
grads. Keep that in mind.

The real question is, "do you enjoy coding so much you stay a newbie?"
There are always things to learn. Do the Tutor stuff. Do CodeWarrior. If
you enjoy it then look at job listsing and play with the stuff they are
asking for. Continue to take classes.  Work through a book of advanced
topics. Help with open source projects. Answer questions for newbies when
you can.

If that's the life you want to lead then jump in. It will be a second job
that doesn't pay for a while, but if you keep it up you'll find the right
spot.

Leam