[Tutor] When do you know you're ready to start applying for jobs?

Rex Sunnlotus at aol.com
Tue Dec 12 15:01:15 EST 2017

Hi Matthew,

I am 61 years old and started to learn Python last winter to both exercise my mind and get a better handle on what this world of technology has become.  I’ve got a degree in biochemistry which I’ve never used professionally and the only programming experience I ever had was in college with Fortran which did not agree with me.  On the other hand I have done some CNC programming the old fashioned way in the 1970’s by typing on a teletype to a paper punch tape the x, y, i, j, and m codes that controlled machine tools.

My experience with Python has opened my eyes to a whole new world and I think you under estimated yourself when you chose a minimum wage job over seeking employment in coding.  From everything I have learned and read about, you have a valuable asset with what you have already learned.  In my opinion, it will not be too difficult to get back on the horse and in fact you will probably be an even better programmer due to the reinforcement learning that will occur as you re-learn Python.

Remember, in this life, you must take risks to succeed and have confidence in yourself.  Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone