[Tutor] Resources/Books for teaching OOP in Python and Tkinter

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Feb 20 05:29:30 EST 2017

On 19/02/2017 16:34, Marie Shaw via Tutor wrote:
> I am a teacher of 16-18 year olds. Since September, my classes have
> been learning to program in Python, using all of the basics in
> console mode. I now need to teach them OOP using Python, and GUI
> programming using Python. Please could someone one point me in the
> direction of a good book, or some good teaching resources. I already
> have Python for the Absolute Beginner, by Michael Dawson, and Python
> in Easy Steps, by Michael McGrath. I like these books and have
> covered the relevant chapters in them. However, I need to learn
> more.

Have you tried the Computing At School forums, Marie? (I assume you're
UK-based from your address and the fact that you're teaching Python in
Years 11-13). There are quite a few resources there already, but you can
always start a thread in, eg, the Secondary Education forum.

Here are a couple of links, but you'll need to have registered with CaS
to view them.

http://community.computingatschool.org.uk/search/resources?action=search&controller=search&query=tkinter&utf8=%E2%9C%93

http://community.computingatschool.org.uk/forums/23

Also, see GUI Zero by a former teacher who now works with the RPi
Foundation:

https://codeboom.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/gui-zero-making-python-guis-really-simple/

TJG