[Tutor] Fwd: Re: SciPy Optimize-like calling function as string

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 25 12:37:15 EST 2017

On 25/02/17 17:24, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:

>> If you don't know that you need to optimize then your
>> time is usually better spent elsewhere. Dictionaries
>> are pretty fast in Python and I'd suggest you try
>> that first before shaving milliseconds in places
>> that may not be where you need to make savings.
>
> Honestly, that method makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Sorry, what I meant is: try the simpler dictionary
based technique first. Dictionaries are what Python
uses internally for almost everything so they
are very fast. Only if you know you need to improve
on their performance should you try using other
techniques (and that's an extremely rare scenario).

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site