[Tutor] Matplotlib in Tkinter

Albert-Jan Roskam sjeik_appie at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 26 16:02:22 EST 2017

Hi,

(CCing Python Tutor again). I meant something like below. I am sending this from my phone, which is cumbersome to use an understatement, so the indentation is lost. But I hope you get the idea. You need to inherit from Frame.

Btw, this is useful if you would like to create an interactive graph: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22052532/matplotlib-python-clickable-points

from Tkinter import *

import matplotlib
matplotlib.use("TkAgg")
from matplotlib.backends.backend_tkagg import FigureCanvasTkAgg, NavigationToolbar2TkAgg
from matplotlib.figure import Figure

class PlotGraph(Frame):. # inherits from Frame
def __init__(self, root, xaxis, yaxis):
Frame.__init__(self, root, *args, **kwargs)  # execute __init__ from super class
self.root = root
root.title("Plotting a graph")
self.xaxis = xaxis
self.yaxis = yaxis
self.f = Figure(figsize = (5,5), dpi = 90)
self.a = self.f.add_subplot(111)
self.a.plot(self.xaxis,self.yaxis)

self.canvas = FigureCanvasTkAgg(self.f,self.root)
self.canvas.show()
self.canvas.get_tk_widget().pack(side = TOP, fill = BOTH, expand = True)

# Navigation Toolbar:
self.toolbar = NavigationToolbar2TkAgg(self.canvas,self.root)
self.toolbar.update()
self.canvas._tkcanvas.pack()

if __name__ == '__main__':
root = Tk()
root.title( "Creating a plot")
xaxis = [1,2,3,4,5,6]
yaxis = [7,8,9,10,11,12]
my_plot = PlotGraph(root, xaxis, yaxis, relief=SUNKEN) # you can add any of the arguments for the Frame initializer
my_plot.grid(row=0, column=0) # use grid here
button = Button (root, text="quit", fg='red', command=root.quit)
button.grid(row=1, column=0)
root.mainloop()