[Tutor] Learning Objectives?

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 09:57:08 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org>
wrote:

> On 27/02/17 10:44, Leam Hall wrote:
> > Is there a list of Python skill progression, like "Intermediates should
> > know <this> and Advanced should know <this and that>?" Trying to map out
> > a well rounded study list.
>
> I'm not aware of such a list, and I'm not sure it's of much value.
> Better to just learn what you need and use it. When you need
> to learn more, learn it. The worst thing you can do is study an
> arbitrary list of topics that don't have any relevance to
> the problems you need to solve!
>
> Nobody is going to ask for an intermediate programmer, or a
> beginner programmer. They might ask for an expert, but if you
> are really an expert you will know that already - and you
> won't be able to become one by studying anything extra.
>
> Once you are past the basics - ie. you can write a program
> that does something useful, it's all about writing code and
> learning as you go. And you never stop learning.
>

> Hey Alan!

When I was coming up as a Linux guy I took the old SAGE guidelines and
studied each "level" in turn. It was useful for making me a well-rounded
admin and helped me put off some higher end stuff I wasn't really ready
for.

Things like Testing and documentation are useful, but only learning what
seems to bee needed for this one project seems harder for the new coder.
Most of us didn't know TDD was useful until we started doing it. Same for
documentation. It's sort of the "if we hired a junior or senior coder, what
basics would we want them to know?"

Thanks!

Leam