[Tutor] Learning Objectives?

Fred Stluka fred at bristle.com
Tue Feb 28 16:44:55 EST 2017

   On 2/27/17 9:57 AM, leam hall wrote:

 On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Alan Gauld via Tutor [1]<tutor at python.org>
 wrote:

 On 27/02/17 10:44, Leam Hall wrote:

 Is there a list of Python skill progression, like "Intermediates should
 know <this> and Advanced should know <this and that>?" Trying to map out
 a well rounded study list.

 I'm not aware of such a list, and I'm not sure it's of much value.
 Better to just learn what you need and use it. When you need
 to learn more, learn it. The worst thing you can do is study an
 arbitrary list of topics that don't have any relevance to
 the problems you need to solve!

 When I was coming up as a Linux guy I took the old SAGE guidelines and
 studied each "level" in turn. It was useful for making me a well-rounded
 admin and helped me put off some higher end stuff I wasn't really ready
 for.

   I agree with Leam.  If anyone has such a list, I think many of us
   would be interested to see it.

   Personally, I'd already been a programmer for 30 years when I
   first started using Python and Django.  I learned them in bits and
   pieces, as needed for a 4 year project.  I never took time to read
   a comprehensive book on either topic.  Also, they both evolved
   quite a bit during those 4 years, with many new and changed
   features.  So it's possible that I've completely overlooked some
   relatively basic features.

   If there were such a list, I'd quickly scan the "basic" section to
   what I may have missed.  Then, I'd scan the more advanced
   sections to what else exists.

   It would also be useful when teaching Python to someone else,
   to have some guidance about which language constructs are
   used most often.

   As a quick straw man, here's a syllabus I started whipping up
   recently for a Python and Django class I was asked to teach.
   - [2]http://bristle.com/Courses/PythonDjangoIntro/syllabus.html

   It has 5 main sections:
   - Python
   - Django
   - Possible Advanced Python Topics
   - Possible Advanced Django Topics
   - Possible Related Topics

   The class would be ten weeks, with 6 hours of lecture and 4
   hours of lab per week, so I'd hope to cover all of the 1st 2
   sections, and perhaps some/all of the last 3 sections.

   Feel free to comment on errors, omissions, misplaced items, etc.

   Enjoy!
   --Fred

   Fred Stluka -- [3]mailto:fred at bristle.com -- [4]http://bristle.com/~fred/
   Bristle Software, Inc -- [5]http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
   Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.