[Tutor] Which DB use with standalone desktop app

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Jul 6 15:09:32 EDT 2017

On 07/06/2017 11:25 AM, Zachary Ware wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 3:57 AM, Freedom Peacemaker <guest0x013 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Tutors,
>> I am working on standalone desktop app with tkinter GUI (Python3), and i
>> dont know which database should i use. I've tried to find solution on my
>> own but google cant help me. There are some with SQL in name (eg. sqlite3,
>> MySql), but there are some other NoSql like MongoDB or Redis. Please help
>> me which one i should use for my app not only from ones i've mentioned. My
>> database will have max 100 records described by 6-8 columns. Most of them
>> will be 25 characters max but one will have up to 60.
>
> That sounds small enough that you probably don't even need a database,
> but could just store a JSON file with your data, for example.
> Otherwise, I'd suggest sqlite3; it's very lightweight and intended for
> single-user applications like this.  You definitely don't need
> anything as large as MySQL or MongoDB :)
>
> Hope this helps,

You don't really say what the use model is for this "database".
Lightweight manipulation of a single table (which is what your
description hints at) can be done just fine in Python (without resorting
to an external db engine) and be given persistence by using a simple
file - json or yaml format, or even Python's included pickle format, as
Zachary says.