[Tutor] Which DB use with standalone desktop app

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 17:18:21 EDT 2017

On 06/07/17 18:32, zhenghao li wrote:
> 100 records are not a lot, so sqlite is sufficient. Its database engine
> is included in python and it doesn't need to be run as a stand-alone
> server so that saves you a lot of time for setting things up. If you
> have a lots of tables and data say like more than 10k then you might
> consider switching to a real database server.

Provided it's single-user then SQLite can easily scale up to a million+
records and still perform OK. I have one database with about 250k
records over 8 tables and the file is only 10MB in size and
query performance is effectively instant.

Where a server becomes important is when you have multiple users
and you care about security, locking, etc. or want to use
advanced features like stored procedures etc.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site