[Tutor] Image i/o in python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 16 15:11:32 EDT 2017

On 16/07/17 17:13, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ wrote:
> In python we have a set of imread and imshow in skimage. In matplotlib.image
> we again have imreadand imshow functions. In scipy.misc we again have
> another set imread and imshow. Are there anyfunctional differences between
> these multiple sets to justify their presence? …

None of these are part of the standard Python library
(as documented on python.org).

As a result the functions are named by the developers
of the respective packages. There is no central control
over third party packages so the developers can call
them what they like(*). They may or may not do the same
things - you need to read the documentation and try
a few tests to find out.

(*) And even in the standard library there are several
different open() functions and at least two sets of
time formatting functions with the same names and
functionality. That's what namespaces are for: to
keep them separate.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site