[Tutor] Python Questions

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Jul 18 14:02:19 EDT 2017

On 07/18/2017 11:42 AM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
> On 18/07/17 11:41, Max Smith wrote:
>
>> What's the easiest way to learn python currently
>
> Write a lot of code.
>
> As to which tutorial to follow, that's a very personal choice and
> depends on your previous knowledge and learning style. If you can
> already program in a similar language(say Perl, PHP or Javascript)
> then the official tutorial is just fine. If you are a comp-lete
> programming neophite then use one of the non programmers
> tutorials on the python web site (eg mine :-)
>
> You can start with some of the many YouTube video courses if you
> prefer but none of these will give you the depth that a
> written tutorial will.

Absolutely, write code.  Some of the tutorials try hard to give you
"real" problems to solve, but they're by their nature prepared to
illustrate some point. It really helps if you supplement by using Python
to try to solve some distinct problem that interests you, because
ultimately what counts is whether you can apply your new knowledge to a
brand new situation, not one that's been hand-crafted by an author. If
you're doing that and get stuck, this is a place that can help with the
unsticking...

I'll just end up parroting Alan so I'll defer mentioning how hard it is
to choose "the best" "the easiest" "the fastest".  Do look at his
material by all means.

Google certainly knows what they're doing with Python, nothing wrong
with pursuing their stuff.

A python learning site that happens to appeal to me (one person's
opinions, and all that) is: http://www.python-course.eu/

AND there's actually one site that claims it is addressing the Computing
GCSE, http://usingpython.com/ - this one I have never looked at but it
might be worth a glance since that's the direction you're coming from.