[Tutor] unittest difficulty

Shall, Sydney sydney.shall at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 07:35:38 EDT 2017

I am learning to use unittest.

I have written a program that runs as it should.
247 tests give me a satisfactory answer.

I have now added one more test and I get an error which I do not understand.

The two relevant tests are:

  def test_type_capitalsadvanced(self):
         self.assertEqual(type(self.capitalsadvanced), numpy.ndarray)

  def test_zero_in_capitalsadvanced(self):
         self.assertIn(self.capitalsadvanced, 0.0)

The error message is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/Users/sydney/Capital/Capital_with_productivity/Current_Versions/testPOCWP_V2.py",
line 320, in test_zero_in_capitalsadvanced
     self.assertIn(self.capitalsadvanced, 0.0)
   File "/Users/sydney/anaconda/lib/python3.6/unittest/case.py", line
1077, in assertIn
     if member not in container:
TypeError: argument of type 'float' is not iterable

Final output from the tests is :

Ran 247 tests in 1.179s

FAILED (failures=9, errors=1)

The failures all arise from a 'nan'.
It is this problem that I am trying to resolve.

My problem is that the first test tells me correctly that the object
capitalsadvanced is a numpy.ndarray. But the second test error message
says it is a float.

I should add that the program creates the initial data set by making use
of the random function which is given a mean to work with. Thus each
test run will be with different input data. But repeated tests show the
same errors.

Any guidance will be very welcome.

Sydney

_________