[Tutor] Python Help

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 22 19:20:50 EDT 2017

On 22/07/17 19:14, Winonah Ojanen wrote:

> using python with anaconda in jupiter notebook. However, I am having

Usual caveat: The tutor list is targeted at the standard library
so any help for non standard library modules is best sought from
the library support fora. In this case that includes the SciPy forum
and any illustris one.

That having been said, I'll take a guess...

> $ mkdir Illustris-3
> $ mkdir Illustris-3/groups_135

Are these folders in your PYTHONPATH? If not Python will not find them.

> import illustris_python as il
> ModuleNotFoundError                       Traceback (most recent call last)

> For some reason the computer is not recognizing this as a file on my
> computer. The CCA folks says this is a coding problem and not an illustris
> problem. any ideas to get me past this? I may also need help getting
> farther into the download process.
You probably need to add the folders to PYTHONPATH environment
variable. How you do that depends on your shell. But any shell
tutorial will show you how. The format of PYTHONPATH is the same
as most other Unix PATHs - eg $PATH, $MANPATH, etc

The other thing to check is that there is not a pip compatible
installer which will put it in the right place for you... often
somewhere in site-packages.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site