[Tutor] Python3 Help

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Sun Jul 23 20:44:37 EDT 2017

> 2.  I’m trying to locate the directory path to where Python3 is located on my system, but when I enter
>         the following command:
>         $ type -a python3
>
>         I get:
>         -bash: $: command not found

Ah.  Do not include the leading "$" in the command that you're typing.
I'm assuming that you're reading some instruction that says something
like this:

-------

Type the following into your command prompt:

    $ type -a python3

--------

If you are reading such an instruction, don't literally type the
dollar sign.  "$" is a convention that's used to indicate to you to
type the rest of the line into your command prompt.  It's because, by
default, the command shell will use "$" as its primary prompt to tell
the user that it is ready to accept a new command.
(https://superuser.com/questions/57575/what-is-the-origin-of-the-unix-dollar-prompt)