[Tutor] Coming from R, what's a good IDE editor? I've tried PyCharm and Spyder

C W tmrsg11 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 13:46:43 EDT 2017

Dear Python list,

I am an R user learning Python. What is a good editor?

1) Pycharm
PyCharm evaluates the entire script, I just want to change a few lines in
the script.
For example,

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

x = np.arange(0, 1,0.1)
y = np.sin(2 * np.pi * x)

plt.figure(1)
plt.clf()
plt.plot(x, y)
plt.show()

Now, I want to do a scatter plot, but don't want to generate the data
again. I just want the "line by line" evaluation like in R and Matlab.
Basically, you can type in console and add to the existing variables.

2) Spyder
Spyder looks a lot like RStudio, I like it! But, it does not have an app
icon in applications.  I am baffled. I do ~/anaconda/bin/spyder every time.

Am I missing something or is this the way it is?

Thank you very much!