[Tutor] Coming from R, what's a good IDE editor? I've tried PyCharm and Spyder

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 3 04:06:07 EDT 2017

On 03/06/17 07:20, Mike C wrote:

> There is a high demand for Python in the
> industry, but there has not been a good IDE.
There are a ton of IDEs for Python including the
generic ones like VS, Eclipse and Netbeans.
But... I've tried many of these and find I keep
coming back to the simpler 3-window approach to
Python development:
- A code editor(multi-tabbed),
- an open interpreter session and
- an OS prompt for running/testing the program.

I always find that faster and more effective
than a complex IDE.

I'm not against IDEs in general and for C++ and
Java I find an IDE more or less essential. But
the immediacy and simplicity of Python with its
interpreter is very hard to beat. (It's the closest
thing I've found to the Smalltalk workspace for
productive programming)

> I find that strange.

It seems so until you try it. IDEs and Python
just don't work that well for many people. (Of
course there are also many folks who do like them
and use them, but compared to other languages they
are less used, because they offer less benefit.)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site