[Tutor] Coming from R, what's a good IDE editor? I've tried PyCharm and Spyder

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 21:56:04 EDT 2017

PyCharm has support for cell based notebooks, interactive python console
etc. You can set up the layout so it mirrors Rstudio. Spyder should have
installed correctly. How did you install?

Having said that, you should also look into JupyterLab:
https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab,
YHat's Rodeo: https://www.yhat.com/products/rodeo
and of course, vim + tmux + tmuxp and something like sidecar:
https://github.com/smashwilson/jupyter-sidecar
Enthought's Canopy: https://store.enthought.com/downloads/#default

All of them can be configured to replicate pretty much the same workflow as
rstudio, although there's a cliff waiting when deploying this stuff to
production. I've sat in many conferences and meetups where the speaker is
demoing his code directly in Rstudio and, of course, gets to the point
where there's an undefined variable. "oh yeah, I forgot about that..."

Not a knock against R, just something to be aware of in systems that allow
non linear code execution (like Jupyter notebooks, be it R, Python, Octave,
Coconut or anything else that runs in it).

Also, look into the rpy2 python module and feather-format. That way you can
still go back and forth with R.

Francois

raspberry-python.blogspot.com - www.pyptug.org - www.3DFutureTech.info -
@f_dion