[Tutor] General question rgrd. usage of libraries

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 5 14:01:23 EDT 2017

On 05/05/17 14:45, Rafael Knuth wrote:
> How do I know which libraries I need to perform a certain task?

Mostly youn learn by experience, but otherwise google
(or other search engine) is your friend.

It doesn't do any harm to read the Library Reference
document on the python.org web site too, it gives a
good overview of the most common ones.

But for stuff outside the standard library its pretty much
down to google and asking on fora like the tutor list
or a more topic related one.

> populate a Google Sheet with my scraped web content

One thing that will definitely help when asking on forums
is to identify the correct (or at least the common)
terminology. For example I've no idea what a "Google Sheet"
is - that may be the correct term - but but I recognize
the term I might be able to offer help. If I don't
recognize the term I'll assume I don't know the answer.
So some research before asking definitely helps.

And don't forget PyPI which has libraries categorised
to make browsing/searching easier.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site