[Tutor] 3D plotting

Jack Lambert jack.lambert at gmail.com
Mon May 29 16:40:19 EDT 2017

Hello!

I am very new to python and am using it for some astronomy data analysis.
What I am trying to is plot a 3D scatter plot of three variables that are
being read from a file. I've tried using code from other examples of 3d
plots but, having little idea how the code functions, I have had very
little luck. Here is the relevant code I am hoping to augment.

import numpy as np
import scipy as sp
import math
from astropy.io import fits
import matplotlib.pyplot as plot
from pylab import *
import matplotlib as mpl
from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d import Axes3D

def sread(infile):
    hdulist = fits.open(infile)
    tdata = hdulist[1].data
    ra = tdata['ra']             # degrees
    dec = tdata['dec']           # degree
    p = tdata['parallax']          # mas

 return ra,dec,p

ra,dec,p = sread('TgasSource_000-000-001.fits')

for i in range(len(ra)):
    if ra[i] > 164 and ra[i] < 166 and dec[i] > 49 and dec[i] < 51 :
        plot(ra[i],dec[i],'bo')
show()

so I'm hoping to plot ra and dec on the x and y axes with p on the z axis.
Any way you can give me an idea how to implement this?

Thanks!