[Tutor] failed installation of Python 2.7

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Nov 26 18:12:09 EST 2017

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 01:29:49PM +0100, marcus lütolf wrote:
> dear experts,
>
> cleaning up my computer I removed all my different Python versions,

Its sounds more like "breaking" than "cleaning up" :-(

You should never delete programs unless you know what they are for and
what will be affected by it.

> saving all .py and .txt files.
>
> I could reinstall Python 3.6 but not Python 2.7, getting an error mesage:
>
> a program required for this insatll could not be found.

"insatll"? I doubt that was what the error message actually said. When
reporting error messages, it is critically important to get them
word-for-word exactly right. Please don't paraphrase them or type from
memory.

Please start by explaining:

- What operating system you are using (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, something
else?)

- If Linux, which distro you are running (Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, etc)?

- If Windows or Mac OS, what version?

- Please try to COPY AND PASTE the FULL error message. I am pretty sure
that even on Windows you can use the mouse to select the error message
and copy it.

- Does the error message say *which* program is missing? That is the
most important information you need.

--
Steve