[Tutor] Fwd: Python programming for the absolute beginner

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 15:22:21 EDT 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Howard B <howardbandy at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Python programming for the absolute beginner
To: boB Stepp <robertvstepp at gmail.com>

The 2010 copyright version, ISBN 978-1-4354-5500-9, discusses installing
Python 3.1 (main text on page 5, and Appendix A on page 405).  You will be
able to follow the book using any Python 3.x.

Consider installing Python 3.6 (the latest version) from Anaconda --
available completely free and for all operating systems.  This is a well
supported and commonly used package.
https://www.anaconda.com/download/

The installation also includes the Spyder and Jupyter development
environments, which you may find useful.

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 7:59 AM, boB Stepp <robertvstepp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org>
> wrote:
> > On 29/09/17 08:51, Peter Collidge wrote:
> >> I have borrowed the above book from my local library but I believe it
> was
> >> written in 2010 and as a result I am having difficulty in deciding which
> >> version of Python to download.
> >> Can anyone help?
> >
> > If you want to follow the book use the version the book
> > uses - probably 2.6 or something close?
>
> I no longer have a copy of this book, but I am fairly certain it uses
> an early version of Python 3.  The main problem, though, is it uses a
> customized version of Pygame for its later gaming code called
> Livewires, so that would have to be Python-version-compatible.  IIRC,
> the author had a download site where you could get the whole package
> together:  correct Python version used in book, correct Livewires
> version, etc., and that this was addressed in the book (Maybe an
> appendix?  Or the first get things setup chapter?  Can't remember for
> sure.)
>
> If the OP goes on to use the sequel to this book, named "More Python
> Programming for the Absolute Beginner" (By a different author.),
> *that* book uses straight-up Pygame, again with an early version of
> Python 3.  Again, I don't think there will be any problems with the
> exact version of Python 3 used as long as the version of Pygame is
> compatible with the chosen Python.
>

> --
> boB

boB