[Tutor] intro book for python

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Sep 1 13:43:56 EDT 2017

On 09/01/2017 07:42 AM, Derek Smith wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am new to python coming from a Perl and Unix Admin background.  I reviewed the site https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntroductoryBooks and would like to know which book(s) you all recommended for a newbie?

Hi Derek, welcome to Python.

We don't recommend anything on the wiki, it wouldn't really be fair,
there are so many books written by dedicated Python enthusiasts, how
could we seem to prefer one over another? Some publishers are more
diligent than others at adding everything they publish, but that's not
really representative of quality, either.

That said, there's obviously more to choose from than one could possibly
get through.  There ARE forums where people will be more than happy to
offer an opinion, some of those were listed in the autoreply.

The python tutor mailing list (of which some of the webmasters are also
participants) will be happy to help you along as you run into questions.
 Stack Overflow is also a good source for answers to questions, although
there it's best to search first, or you'll get shut down with the
somewhat unhelpful "this question has already been asked and answered" ding.