[Tutor] Standard module sqlite3 or APSW?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 20:56:36 EDT 2017

First, if I have not misinterpreted anything, the subject header is
perhaps better written as "pysqlite or APSW?"  As far as I can tell
from reading the documentation at
https://docs.python.org/3/library/sqlite3.html , the module sqlite3 is
in actuality using the pysqlite project.

So if all of this is correct, does the documentation at
https://rogerbinns.github.io/apsw/pysqlite.html#pysqlitediffs give an
objective assessment of the differences between pysqlite and APSW?

The bottom line results I am getting from that page is:

(1) If my database needs are simple, go with the standard library
module, sqlite3.

(2) If I wish to use all of the latest, greatest features of SQLite3,
and I don't care about some of its non-standard SQL implementations,
then use APSW if SQLite3 meets my database needs and I don't
anticipate having to upgrade to one of the big database projects.

(3) If I am prototyping a database solution, anticipating
transitioning to one of the big database projects, then use the
standard library sqlite3 as it will make it easier to make the
transition, due to better SQL standardization.

Am I getting the correct understanding of the pros and cons?

A further question.  Is APSW being maintained solely by a single
person?  That is, is it likely to be around for years to come?

TIA!

--
boB