[Tutor] PLEASE HELP

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 18:13:11 EDT 2018

On 12/04/18 18:24, Scharrer, Brianna wrote:

What appears below seems to be an assignment of some kind.
We do not do your work for you although we will offer help.
But it is best if you show us your work so far, or at
least describe how you intend to tackle it.

In this case you are being given a string and need to
convert it to a different format. It is not clear how
you should expect to "be given" the input data but
I assume you can read it from a user?

In Python you have many string methods to help you
slice/split the input into its parts. Look at the slice
operations and the split method. Given the fixed
lengths involved here slicing is probably easiest.

The assignment suggests "casting" the string to integers
but I think this is poor terminology and what is meant
is that you should convert the substrings into integers
(casting and conversion are very different things!).

Get back to us when you have something to show us or
a specific query.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site