[Tutor] Help!

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Apr 19 09:29:16 EDT 2018

Hello Joshua, and welcome!

My comments below.

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 01:15:59AM +0000, Joshua Nghe wrote:
> Hi,
> This is Joshua N from Campus Middle School.

You are talking to people from all over the world, and some of us are
not familiar with what you mean by "Middle School". What is it? About
what age group are you in?

> In my science class, we
> are learning topics of our choice. I chose coding as my project, and I
> am contacting you to ask about certain projects which would be
> appropriate for a programmer at a beginner level. I only have 15 hours
> on Python, however I expect to get to at least double that when I
> start to work on my project. What projects would be appropriate for
> someone of my level.

Very simple projects! 30 hours is not a lot of time to learn a
programming language if your aim is a complex project.

Python is a great language and I love it, but unfortunately the graphics
capabilities are very primitive, and even when you can get them working,
it might take many more hours to become productive with them. So unless
you have a LOT of help from your class, I recommand you stick to a
text-based program.

Does your project have to be oriented towards science, or can it be
anything at all?

Some program ideas...

Encrypt and decrypt text using a Caesar Cipher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_cipher

or one of many other simple ciphers.

Calculate the prime numbers up to a certain limit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_of_Eratosthenes

Play "Guess the number" games.

Play 20 Questions.

(Advanced)
Given the formula for a (simple) molecule like H20, print the names of
the elements in the molecule, their atomic weights, and the total
molecular weight.

Convert between temperature scales (degrees Celsius, Fahrenheit, and
Kelvin).

Try reading here:

http://www.programmingforbeginnersbook.com/blog/what_should_i_make_beginner_programming_project_ideas/

Hope this helps!