[Tutor] understanding Python naming conventions & semantics

Rafael Knuth rafael.knuth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 05:11:33 EDT 2018

> A good thing to do but in some cases you have
> to settle for "that's just the way Guido made it" :-)

Thanks for the elaborate answer.
That helps me a lot, as I see some similarities to natural languages:

There is a clearly defined structure, but in some cases purely
arbitrary decisions have been made (aka exceptions).
After all, we're all humans, and we're not living in a perfect world.
I naively believed, that in a programming language everything is
perfectly well structured (Python is my first programming language).
Knowing that this is not the case, makes my learning efforts much
easier, as I can always check whether something is a rule or exception
in the first place. If it's an exception, I have to memorize it, if
it's a rule, I need to understand where it fits into the overall
concept of Python.

Another important distinction (for me) is that context matters.
Such as, for example, that methods are functions associated with objects.
(huh, reminds me a bit of Mandarin Chinese where context is (almost) everything)

In the end, practice matters ;-)
Thank you again!