[Tutor] Building a Package

Albert-Jan Roskam sjeik_appie at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 08:32:49 EDT 2018

On 21 Aug 2018 15:10, Glenn Schultz via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:

All,
I have a project pthon(3.7) I have followed the python setup instructions. I get a dist folder with the correct files.  Now, I would like to install locally from my local machine (note I am not using virtual enviroment as our firewall does not allow installation of packages when using VE).  In my site packages directory I get the foo.dist-info but not foo folder.

Using setuptools and following the packaging python project I had to # out over 70% of the example setup as they were all throwing warnings etc. and prohibiting the final build.

Is there an alternative source to guide one through project packaging? Its now been two-days of struggle with no success.

I would like to migrate some of my projects from R to Python.  But, honestly, packaging a python project seems far more difficult than building an R package.  I'm not trolling Python vs. R but my God, the level of frustration with python packaging is about to make me walk away.

Either I am a complete moron or packaging python is a poorly documented nightmare.  If anyone can point me to source for pyhton packaging that is better than the Packaging Python Projects website I would greatly appreciate the direction.

====>> check out https://pypi.org//PyScaffold/ or https://github.com/audreyr/cookiecutter