[Tutor] OT: How to automate the setting of file permissions for all files in a collection of programs?

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Thu Aug 30 05:30:31 EDT 2018

On 30Aug2018 09:08, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>On 30/08/18 04:44, boB Stepp wrote:
[...]
>> 4)  FTP this back to Solaris for code repair, testing, etc.
[...]
>> This process has changed all of the Unix file permissions
>
>That is inherent in using version control systems.

Not really. I suspect FTP may not be preserving permissions across the transfer
(no proof though).  But git doesn't preserve file permissions as pat of the
state.  Personally I use mercurial which does include the permissions in the
state.

But there's also the issue of Windows permissions versus UNIX permissions.

[...]
>> If there is a way in this CuteFTP software to maintain file
>> permissions in this back-and-forth transferring between a Windows and

CuteFTP's web site says it can use SFTP (ssh's ftp-ish protocol, which can
preserve permissions). https://www.globalscape.com/cuteftp

>I don't know CuteFTP but rsync definitely can. One of
>its zillions of options.

The option is -p (permissions).

>> software package in the Solaris environment, I am not allowed to do
>> so.  I am not allowed to use Python pip either.  Strange rules ...
>
>Not that odd in a corporate environment, I was still using
>Python 1.3 in 2002 for similar reasons on one of our work
>servers.
>
>But there is a 50/5-0 chance the latest Solaris upgrade
>will have included rsync.
>
>Even if it hasn't, if you can mount a Solaris drive on your
>PC then you can still use rsync from your PC (via cygwin).
>Is that an option?

If he can mount a Solaris drive (NFS or SMB) he can just copy the files :-)

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>