[Tutor] Does Python and its standard libraries use semantic versioning?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 10 04:07:21 EST 2018

On 10/02/18 05:44, boB Stepp wrote:
> I have been reading the interesting web page "Semantic Versioning

Interesting read, it's the first time I've come across the term.
The practice is of course fairly standard and certainly every
major project I've ever worked on has done it but.... they
were all compiled code and the x.y.z versioning only applied to
the final-build binaries (which is what was released).

Source files are usually maintained via the version control's
numbering system and that does not respect the semantics of
releases. So I'm not sure how you would control semantic
versioning for a project that releases the source files
(ie like Python projects do). One option would be to us
a dual version control setup with one for file management
and one for releases (I've seen that done before) but the
potential for a file to bypass the release system is high.

I'll be interested to see how others respond in general.
And also for the specifics of how the Python project handles
it.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site