[Tutor] Stuck on some basics re floats

Matthew Polack matthew.polack at htlc.vic.edu.au
Tue Jul 17 19:52:24 EDT 2018

Hi,

I'm a teacher trying to learn Python with my students.

I am trying to make a very simple 'unit calculator' program...but I get an
error ..I think python is treating my num1 variable as a text string...not
an integer.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

- Matt

print ("How many inches would you like to convert? ")
num1 = input('Enter inches here')
print ("You have entered",num1, "inches")
convert = num1 * 2.54
print ("This is", convert, "centimetres")

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "convert.py", line 10, in <module>
    convert = num1 * 2.54
TypeError: can't multiply sequence by non-int of type 'float'

Matthew Polack | Teacher

[image: Emailbanner3.png]

Trinity Drive  |  PO Box 822

Horsham Victoria 3402

p. 03 5382 2529   m. 0402456854

e. matthew.polack at htlc.vic.edu.au

w. www.htlc.vic.edu.au

--
**Disclaimer: *Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material
contained in this email is free from computer viruses or other defects, the