[Tutor] In matplotlib, why are there axes classes vs. axes API? Why not list them under one documentation?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jun 14 21:39:47 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:31:44PM -0400, C W wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm working on matplotlib, could someone explain the difference between
> these two?
>
> Axes class: https://matplotlib.org/api/axes_api.html#matplotlib.axes.Axes
> Axes and tick API: https://matplotlib.org/api/axis_api.html
>
> I began at reading axes class, but discovered axes API by accident. Why are
> there two documentations on the same thing? Why not merge? I mean, one is
> already confusing enough. ;)

*shrug*

Because the designers of matplotlib suck at designing a good, easy to
use, easy to understand, simple API? Because they're not good at writing
documentation? I dunno.

It is hard to write an API which is both *obvious* and *powerful*, but
the few times I tried using matplotlib I found it baroque and confusing.

--
Steve