[Tutor] Displaying Status on the Command Line

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Nov 8 11:08:06 EST 2018

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 09:36:53AM -0600, Zachary Ware wrote:

> You can use any of the `print` function tricks above in Python 2 with
> the following boilerplate:
>
> from __future__ import print_function
>
> import sys
>
> _orig_print = print
>
> def print(*args, **kwargs):
>     flush = kwargs.pop('flush', False)
>     _orig_print(*args, **kwargs)
>     if flush:
>         file = kwargs.get('file', sys.stdout)
>         file.flush()

Sorry, I don't understand that. Maybe its too early in the morning for
my brain, but given that you've imported the Python 3 print function
from the __future__ why do you need the customer wrapper?

from __future__ import print_function

alone should give you exactly the Python 3 print function, with all its
bells and whistles.

What have I missed?

--
Steve