[Tutor] Born to be free

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Thu Nov 22 20:33:02 EST 2018

Alan,

Yes, I meant that many things are effectively free these days. Some things are required to be distributed free by CopyLeft. But you can pay a nominal fee for say a CD of the software. You can pay for a bundle like you describe, perhaps including some consulting or warranties to keep you updated or who knows what?

I have been using a slew of programs lately in work for someone else who gave me access to software they paid for under some license. I mean statistical tools that are sold or licensed and have been around for ages. But I find I can cobble together my own programs and often find packages for free to do some parts. But as noted, I often have to process data that came from sources like SAS, MPLUS, STATA, SPSS and others. I often have to return the results of the calculations back in those formats. I have not felt the urge to buy the software but the day may come. My goal is to use a variety of tools that include R and Python unless the easiest path is ...

I am not in the market for buying or selling such things so I simply admit my lack of encyclopedic memory and experience.  I suggested that based on my knowledge, to date, I gather Python is mostly available for free and this might impact companies that wish to bend it to their needs rather than paying someone to give them an expensive tool.

Many languages and other shared goods have ISO committees or Standards Bodies that document it or regulate changes. In the past, I often found companies like AT&T and HP attending all kinds of such bodies to influence the direction they take or be informed where they are headed.

Some people have a photographic memory while some have a pornographic memory. Anyone with both is beyond dangerous 😉