[Tutor] Help.Please!

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 24 19:09:21 EST 2018

On 24/11/2018 20:37, Brian Ngari wrote:

> miles of that number. Please prompt the user for the current mileage
> recorded on the car and also for the mileage recorded on the car at the
> time of the last oil change. Then, please let the user know if it’s time to
> change the oil.

You do some of this but you don't check if they need an oil change.

> Be sure to check for invalid entries (e.g., if the mileage...
> and, if there are invalid entries, please continue to prompt the user.

And you don't do this. You need a loop somewhere...

I suggest before worrying about the oil change code that
you get the input bit working, just print the two values
initially. Once you can correctly read two valid values
move on to using them to check the oil.

>  input('Enter the number of miles')

You don't store this value anywhere

> x=int(input('Enter the last milage you went for an oil change.'))
>
> if x>5000:
>  print('You need an oil change.')

This claims you need an oil change if the mileage at the
last change was >5000.

Even if I haven't driven any miles at all since then.
Something wrong. You need to use both the values that
you read from the user.

> else:
>  x<5000

This doesn't make much sense. You compare x to 5000
but don't do anything with the result.
I'm not even sure what you are trying to do here.

> print('No oil change.')

Remember indentation is all important in Python.
Here you always print the message regar5dless of what
happened further up.

> I'm getting two different answers as outputs. I don't know why.

Probably that last indentation issue to blame for that.
More seriously you are not doing what the homework
assignment asks you to do. Read it again and see
my comments above.

Have another go and if still stuck come back to us.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site