[Tutor] Advanced python recommendations

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Oct 10 13:08:15 EDT 2018

On 10/10/2018 10:46 AM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
> On 10/10/18 10:53, Mariam Haji wrote:
>> ...my current challenge
>> with the projects bit is how to pseudo-code and which approach to use as I
>> am not very familiar with the entire python syntax and how I can use it
>
> And that's the whole point of doing projects. You need to
> really be comfortable with the basics of breaking a problem
> down into code sized chunks and debugging basic syntax
> before you start thinking about mo9re advanced stuff.
>
> Think of a regular task you could automate, or invent
> a game, whatever takes your fancy. Then work on it and
> as you get stuck send your code here and we will try
> to help you fix it.
>
> Remember keep it simple to start with. Even just copying
> the files in a work folder to a backup folder, or a
> little music or photo catalogue tool.
>
> And start small, get the basics working before adding
> extra features - test each feature as you add it, don't
> wait till you have a mountain of code to debug.

This is actually the concept of test driven development (TDD), which I'm
not a huge proponent of personally, but kind of useful for this:

- write a test for some behavior you need, and get the test "working" so
that it fails because you don't have the code for the behavior yet
- code up the behavior until the test passes
- rinse, repeat

it really forces you not to write things in too complex a way up front!