[Tutor] sftp in python without using pysftp or paramiko

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Oct 21 20:20:02 EDT 2018

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 12:44:23AM +0100, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
> On 20/10/18 21:07, Asad wrote:
> > hi All ,
> >
> > I am looking to create a python script which logs in to the server and
> > copies the fie from ftp to local system .:
>
> The obvious answer is use pysftp.
> But your subject says you don't want to do that.

It could be a good learning exercise.

As you say:

> Reinventing the wheel is a painful
> waste of time that usually only serves to
> increase your respect for the inventor of
> said wheel.

But its not a waste of time if you learn valuable skills from it.
*Somebody* has the write and maintain the low-level stuff, and if we all
did nothing but use the high-level libraries, who would maintain them?

I'm reminded of the situation in scientific computing, where there are
many important libraries written in Fortran which nobody can maintain
because nobody understands how they work.

Asad: show us the code you've started with. You are far more likely to
get a useful response to *concrete* questions about a specific problem,
than a vague "show me what to do" general question.

--
Steve