[Tutor] Fwd: Can tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile(delete=False) be used to create *permanent* uniquely named files?

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Mon Oct 22 21:26:46 EDT 2018

> On Oct 22, 2018, at 8:30 PM, boB Stepp <robertvstepp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/22/18 8:24 AM, boB Stepp wrote:
>>> Forwarding to the Tutor list.  Herr Maier offers a good idea that
>>> would take away much of a remaining issue -- the name "Temporary".  I
>>> need to look into the functools library to see what "partial" does.
>>

>> if you really don't care what the file is called because you will
>> maintain a map which leads you to the filename, you might as well use a
>> uuid.
>
> Wouldn't I have to write a check to ensure such a named file (However
> unlikely that would be.) did not exist before creating it?  And if
> yes, would not that get into the same potential security issue that
> cause tempfile.mktemp() to be deprecated?

The whole point of UUIDs is to make the probability of a UUID collision so infinitesimally small as to make that hypothetical collision simply not worth worrying about, even when they are created on different systems.  Since a big chunk of a UUID is a high precision time stamp, any UUIDs created on a single system are pretty much guaranteed to be unique.

Bill