[Tutor] IDLE

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 19:57:45 EDT 2018

On 11/09/18 19:57, Roger Lea Scherer wrote:
> Can you direct me to where or how to update from Python 3.6.5 Shell, I
> think it is also called IDLE 3.6.5, to Python 3.7 Shell?

The Python shell and IDLE are really two different things.

The shell is normally considered to mean the interactive
interpreter, in any of its guises. There is a shell within
IDLE but it is only part of the IDLE toolset not all of it.

That having been said, where it lives depends on your OS.
Whether it was installed along with Python depends on
how you installed Python.

On Windows the download should include IDLE and the
installer should have set up the links/menu entries
for you.

On Linux, from the software manager you probably need
to install IDLE separately - but I doubt if any distros
have 3.7 available yet. Not officially at least.

On MacOS I have no idea, I never found IDLE worked very
well on a Macc.

> I've downloaded Python 3.7, but can't figure out how to upgrade the
> IDLE/Shell. And I can't for the life of me remember how I originally got
> the Python 3.6.5 Shell.
BTW. Do you really need 3.7? Unless there is some vital
feature you need why not just stick with 3.6 - or even 3.5?
I am still using 3.5 on 2 of my PCs and only upgraded
the third to 3.6 last month. You really don't need to
sweat about using the latest version, not that much
changes.

But if you really do think you need some new feature
from 3.7 (from your recent posts the new http.server
features might qualify) then by all means let us
know what OS you are using and how you installed it
and we can try to point you in the right direction.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site